Monday, October 7, 2013

Core Value: Perseverance - Ideas for Wolf, Bear and Webelos Den including a skit, game, song, Gospel Principle and Scripture


Core Value: Perseverance

Skit, Joke, Run-on:
THE SOUND
You will need noisemakers such as drum, bell, whistle, kazoo, guitar, etc. carried by each Cub Scout. You will also need a triangle or dinner bell.
(Main Cub Scout (MC) comes on stage.) MC: I've just got to find THE SOUND. I've got to!
(First Cub Scout comes on stage, carrying his noisemaker)
MC: Have you got THE SOUND?
(First Cub Scout demonstrates sound.)
MC: No, that's not the right sound. That's not it at all.
(Each Cub comes on stage and is asked by the Main Cub about his sound. Each demonstrates. Main Cub Scout rejects all sounds.
Suddenly, there is the sound of a triangle or dinner bell being rung offstage or a boy wearing a cook's hat enters ringing the triangle or dinner bell.)
MC: (excitedly) That's it! That's THE SOUND!
All other Cubs: What is it? What is THE SOUND?
MC: Why, it's the sound that's calling me to dinner. What better sound than that!
Utah National Parks 2010-2011  Pow Wow Book  pg  125

Game:
Icy Perseverance
(adapted from a January 2011Utah County Pow Wow handout author unknown)
Materials: An ice cube for each boy with a penny frozen inside
Activity: Begin your den or pack meting by giving each boy an ice cube. Tell them that the first one to get the penny out of their ice cube without putting it in their mouth or hitting it with another object is the winner. Then continue on with your regular plans until someone is a winner. Once someone has their penny, discuss how perseverance works.
Questions:
§  How does melting the ice cube compare to reaching your goals?
§  Did you ever feel like quitting?
§  Why do some people quit before reaching their goals?
§  Could you have gotten the penny quicker had you broken the rules?
§  Would you feel as good about winning if you didn't follow the rules?
§  How do hard work and perseverance help you achieve your goals?



Song:
Perseverance
TUNE: “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor
At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinkin’ I could never be a Scout, I should just hide
But then I spent so many nights thinking how Scouts makes you proud,
And I worked hard, and here to cheer me is this crowd
At first I tried, then tried again,
I picked myself up off the ground and never once did I give in,
I earned my Bobcat, Wolf and Bear, and now I’m trying for Webelos
Will I quit? Well the answer it is NO!
Oh, no not I, I’ll persevere,
Oh as long as I stick with a task I will not give in to fear,
I’ll play sports, learn math and more, and maybe be an engineer,
And I’ll persevere. I’ll persevere, hey, hey.

Perseverance: Webelos Activity Badge: Athlete
Gospel Principle:
Perseverance is defined as sticking with something and not giving up, even if it is difficult. The faith, courage, and determination of these Saints carried them through cold, hunger, and the deaths of loved ones. A man who crossed the plains in the Martin handcart company lived in Utah for many years. One day he was in a group of people who began sharply criticizing the Church leaders for ever allowing the Saints to cross the plains with no more supplies or protection than a handcart company provided. The old man listened until he could stand no more; then he arose and said with great emotion:
“I have pulled my handcart when I was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other. I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, I can go only that far and there I must give up, for I cannot pull the load through it. … I have gone on to that sand and when I reached it, the cart began pushing me. I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew then that the angels of God were there.
“Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart? No. Neither then nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company.”
Scripture: 13th Article of Faith

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment